[Asterisk-Users] Very high memory consumption when high number of calls are processed

Jon Bruel jb at v2tel.com
Tue Dec 13 10:59:59 MST 2005

We are running a number of hosted SIP-only PBX's, and we do have memory
problems with some of them.

The servers have typically 512 MB RAM, and in some of the servers the
Asterisk usage goes up from a couple of percent (at restart in the
morning) to more than 82% after periods with a high number of calls
processed. At a call rate of 100 calls an hour, the memory consumption
growth is around 50MB an hour. At the end of the busy period we
sometimes get "Fork failed: Cannot allocate memory" error, and calls to
the server are rejected. At that time, several hundreds of MB of the
virtual memory has often been taken into use, and the so-called free
memory is down at a few MB or even kB. After restart, the memory is
freed up.

The dial plan is complex using OBCD calls to a MySQL astdb table. Most
calls are queued. We use mechanisms such as hint, qualify and setGroup.
We have a separate Flash Operators Panel server, which communicates with
the server through the manager API. We have tried to change the unixOBCD
driver, but the memory consumption did not change.

The version used is 1.0.10, STABLE. Running on Debian RC 2. We use a
FLASH disk with 4GB capacity.

My main issue is: can we avoid these problems by changing design
parameters somewhere?

.... or do we just have to put more RAM into the servers?