[Asterisk-Users] ENUM For Presence

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Mon Dec 12 23:47:18 MST 2005

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever thought of using ENUM as a presence server? Apologises if this is a dumb or obvious question.

Ie, right now user with telephone number 14068675309 is available at jenny at tutone.com. To put it into Asterisk perspective, right now user with number 14068675309 is available at SIP/14065551212. Maybe later today, through some magical process, Jenny changes her location to SIP/14065551000. This would require updates and restarts of the DNS server, which may not scale at all.

Then again.... updates are sent to the master DNS server, which filters them down to the slave DNS server, and you do queries to the slave... might take a few minutes to become effective.

Anyone ever done anything like this? ENUM just seems really cool... although I don't quite understand why just yet.

Doug.