[Asterisk-Users] Linux Partitions (before asterisk install)

Pete Barnwell peter at whole-uk.com
Mon Dec 12 15:49:47 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-12-12 at 13:54 -0600, Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
> Johnny Voice wrote:
> > For my asterisk installation in my lab, I will install the Linux ES v4
> > distribution (with kernel 2.6) onto a Dell Power Edge 1650 with ~16GB of
> > Raid-1 hard disk space.
> >
> > Before installing Linux, what should I set the following disk partitions
> > to?:
> > (root)/
> > /boot
> > swap
> > /usr
> > /home
> > /tmp
> > /var
> >
> > The Dell boot up disk (i.e. the Dell OpenManage disk, Configure Hard
> > Drive section), shows this as the default:
> > (root)/       1024MB
> > /boot         100MB
> > swap         2048MB
> > /usr           5726MB
> > /home       3547MB
> > /tmp          512MB
> > /var           512MB
> >
> > Do you think I should do something like this?
> > (root)/       512MB
> > /boot         100MB
> > swap         2048MB
> > /usr           10000MB
> > /home       2282MB
> > /tmp          256MB
> > /var           2057MB
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Tom
>
> Tom,
>
> 	For an Asterisk server, /var will grow the most (by default).  You
> should make that your largest partition, or use symlinks or some other
> way to change the things that make /var grow (voicemail, CDR's, etc).

If you need > 5Gb on /usr then you're installing an awful lot of things
you don't need. Don't see why you need to allocate anything to /home
itself. You don't need a gig for / either, your adjustments look better.
This is one of my * boxes running RHEL4 :-

/dev/sda8               487M  231M  231M  51% /
/dev/sda1               99M   17M   78M  18% /boot
none                    506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda7               487M   11M  451M   3% /tmp
/dev/sda2               4.9G  2.1G  2.5G  46% /usr
/dev/sda6               487M  107M  355M  24% /var
/dev/mapper/vg001-lvlog 2G     19M  1.9G   1% /var/log
/dev/mapper/vg001-lvast 20G  1.1GM  18.9G   6% /var/spool/asterisk

This box actually has a lot installed that isn't required, but as you
can see you don't need that much space for usr etc.

I used LVM for the partitions likely to grow so I can always allocate
more space to them if I need to at a future date.

Rgds

Pete