[Asterisk-Users] trying to get SIP to work remotly.

Ross C wotech at cox.net
Mon Dec 12 12:50:59 MST 2005

I had the same problem.  It ended up being some settings in sip.conf

One of these settings did it for me (not sure which one, as I added them all
at once, then it worked):

Port=5060

localnet=192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0         ;<-----wutever the local subnet
is (that the asterisk server is on)

nat=yes

externip=68.92.31.19       ;<----wutever your public IP address is if you
asterisk server is behind a NAT firewall (don't worry, the one listed is
bogus; it's not my real addy)

this is in my sip_additional.conf file where 204 is the extension number of
the remote extension:

[204]

username=204

type=friend

secret=204

record_out=On-Demand

record_in=On-Demand

qualify=yes

nat=yes

insecure=very

mailbox=204 at default

host=dynamic

fromuser=204

dtmfmode=rfc2833

context=from-internal

canreinvite=no

callerid=device <204>

I'm guessing someone else will chime in to say that these settings aren't
correct for everyone, but this is just what worked for me.  I have my
asterisk server behind a linksys wrt54g with the DMZ configured to go to the
asterisk server.

  _____