[Asterisk-Users] Production Upgrades

Don Pobanz asterisk at hastingsutilities.com
Mon Dec 12 09:47:32 MST 2005

Steven wrote:

>Questions:
>How are other upgrading asterisk on production systems?
>Are you buying duplicate Digium cards to test configs and reduce downtime?

We have purchased a duplicate server (with a spare TE410P Digium card).
Our primary interface to the telco is a T1 and we use channel banks for
our phones. We are using the low tech, unplug the T1 cables from one
server and plug them in the other server to cut to our backup system.
Depending on what we are doing we may cut over to our backup phone
server during the changes. If we don't and something goes wrong, it
would take just a few minutes to cut over.

We do not have voicemail on our backup server, but since our upgrades
happen after hours it has not been a problem. We have a channel bank
dedicated for testing any changes. It seems to work for us.

Don Pobanz