[Asterisk-Users] Mechanisms for Implementing a Common ContactDatabase

Douglas Garstang dgarstang at oneeighty.com
Mon Dec 12 09:38:19 MST 2005

Douglas Garstang wrote:

> Someone tell me how this sounds please. We will know the IP addresses of all our phones, and the users/extensions on those phones because we will be the ones provisioning them. We therefore write a script that reads from some source (file/database etc) and somehow (means yet to be determined, probably write to astdb) "PRIME" Asterisk on startup. Ie when asterisk starts up, it's astdb file will contain the location info for every single phone. This sort of info won't change a lot and if it does, it's easy to edit the entries in astdb. Any opinions?

If all of that is true, what do you need Realtime for? Just write out
configuration files with the information and do a 'reload chan_sip.so'.

Just for you I put my reply at the bottom. Can't help you with '>' marks though. Some of us are using Exchange which doesn't put them against previous text.

A database solution would be far cleaner, that's why. After all, that's the WHOLE POINT of a database. I still can't even fathom why this doesn't work. Asterisk is just doing a SELECT statement to find the location of the other user. Why on god's green earth doesn't that work?