[Asterisk-Users] Major Advantages of Asterisk vs Nortel PBX Systems

Rushowr madprofzero at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 23:04:31 MST 2005

Depends on what Nortel you're using. But here's just a few I can say from
being a Nortel PBX guy a while back:

*

	Cost (depends on the situation)
*

	Ability to write just about ANYTHING to interact with your phone
system. Just about anything you want can be done if you apply the time to do
it, or find someone that already has.
*

	RealTime Database storage of (this works reliably in my experience):

*

	    Call Detail Records
*

	    SIP Users (phones)
*

	    Voicemail Settings for the Users
*

	I also use the DB to store other user options that are not part of
the system.

*

	No need to purchase modules for extra functions
*

	Powerful dialplan and IVR control:

*

	Match information against a regular expression, even if the
information comes from an external source?
*

	Query other PBXs to find a route to a number (DUNDi)
*

	Supoprt Video (without large expense, Asterisk has SIP Video support
already)
*

	Loop a portion of the dialplan while a condition is false

*

	Use on ANY hardware that's capable of handling the load?
*

	You can use the PBX hardware to do other things WHILE it's acting as
the PBX. (This can vary obviously)
*

	Management API for monitoring and controlling

I could go on and on... I'm no "Asterisk is the solution for everyone's PBX"
guy, but it can work for just about any situation if it's done right.

Thanks,
SKM

  _____