[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Dynamic DNS

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 11 16:30:44 MST 2005

If you're experiencing the same issue I am, there's a less painful
solution than restarting asterisk.

Asterisk resolves the externip (and, I think, externhost) parameters in
sip.conf at startup.  If the values are a domain name registered with
dyndns.org, and the IP that these domain names point at changes, then
you have a problem.

It turns out that sip reload will cause it to resolve externip (for
sure, and I assume externhost as well) again.  So I run a cron job to do
a sip reload periodically.

(Ideally, I want to trigger this job from my dyndns ip-change script,
but I haven't gotten around to that yet.  Doing it every 5 minutes is a
bit of an ugly hack, but it works for me.)

HTH.
john