[Asterisk-Users] SRV Lookups

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Dec 11 14:09:14 MST 2005

Douglas Garstang wrote:
> What exactly do you mean by 'documented not to be implemented'? If you are referring to the fact it isn't implemented, yes I realise that. That's why I'm trying to get an idea for when these features will be. This isn't whining.

You did not ask when they would be implemented, you said that it not
being implemented was 'a major limitation'. That is not asking a
question, nor is it in any way constructive.

> If you are however, stating they are designed this way and there's no plan to implement them, I'm wondering why there's such resistance to putting redundant features into Asterisk?

You are very good at putting words into others' mouths, apparently...
Since nobody has said anything of the kind, making a statement like this
is purely inflammatory. Where is this resistance that you speak of? Do
you have any evidence that someone provided a functional implementation
of this feature and it was rejected? Do you have any evidence that
someone provided even a functional design for others to implement and it
was rejected? If not, saying there is 'resistance' is purely
argumentative and only annoys everyone else.

Asterisk has the features it has because people with the skills to
implement them did so; features that are not present are not that way
because someone decided they would not ever be there (except in very
rare circumstances), they are that way because nobody has provided an
implementation that was merged into the source tree. Reading anything
more into the lack of a feature is wasting our time and yours :-)