[Asterisk-Users] Email to voice?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Dec 10 06:30:35 MST 2005

> I want to have our monitoring system call me if  a high level alert
> event happens. I could use SMS to get my attention but I don't have an
> SMS gateway available to me. Is there a way I can have the system run a
> script (via ssh) on the pbx that will call my number and read me the
> message? Has anyone done anything like this? I also thought of setting
> the CallerID Name to "Server5 down" for example.
> Any ideas on this appreciated.

A lot of that depends on your definition of an "event", the detection
of that event, and what you might have for available resources to deal
with the event.

If you're definition of event is simply analyzing syslog messages and
notifying you based on keywords, there are several products that can be
combined to send voice messages to your cell phone, etc.

In the intrusion detection world, snortsnarf is a perl script that can be
used to analyze syslog-type text messages and do something with those that
match your defined criteria. That might include sending a text based
message to another asterisk system (that is assured of being up), and
then have it call you with a festival voice message (or something like
that). Google for SnortSnarf.