[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, Small Business, and Teliax

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Dec 10 05:14:47 MST 2005

> I'm a beginner here and am interested in Teliax.  I own a small business and was
wondering if you guys could help
> me out here.  I'm basically looking for 6-8 telephone lines, but I notice that Teliax
supports 4 simultaneous calls on
> their Corporate plan.  So could I get two Corporate plans and set Asterisk to use
both of them and then have, in
> essence, 8 people talking at the same time?  If someone tries to call, would the
phone ring busy or would it still go
> through?
>
> I plan on having a T1.....

I'd suggest you call their sales folks as teliax is rather flexible; they
will likely work something out for you that fits your needs.

As others have mentioned, the bundled plans (eg, residential or corporate)
have a soft cap that essentially translates into $0.018 / minute, assuming
you use every single minute within the plan. If you don't use every minute,
the average cost/min goes up (1,000 minutes of corp plan use = $0.045 / min).

So, you are probably better off with their "Pay as you go" plan which
ensures your cost is always $0.02 / min with an unlimited number of
simultanous calls.

If you combine the above with some thought as to what you are going to do
when calls can't be completed via teliax (for whatever reason), then you
are likely to conclude that having two providers at some flat cost per
minute is a positive move.

If you add to that thought process some probability that you can't complete
_any_ Internet-based calls (due to T1 failure or whatever), then you're
likely to approach a combination of itsp's and pstn lines for your business.