[Asterisk-Users] Change time when * is running

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Fri Dec 9 13:31:12 MST 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 08:06:55AM -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Julian Lyndon-Smith wrote:
> >We've just seen that one of our servers is an hour out (it reckons that
> >it's 15:02 instead of 14:02).
> >
> >Can I change the time when * is running ? I don't want to try just in
> >case it causes * some grief.
>
> It can cause some repercussions. I wouldn't recommend changing the time
> backwards by such a large amount while Asterisk is running with active
> calls... but your mileage may vary :-)

You don't have to shift the clock backwards. You can tell it to move a
little slower. ntpd generally uses the ability of the kernel to move a
bit faster or slower. However if the difference is over an hour you
normally have to add some override switch to convince it that the
problem is not some time-zone issue.

Alternatively, try adjusting the rate yourself with adjtimex.