[Asterisk-Users] Porting a phone number to a voip provider

Austin Denyer adenyer at ekn.com
Fri Dec 9 10:40:55 MST 2005

On Fri,  9 Dec 2005 09:46:39 -0600
Rich Adamson  <radamson at routers.com> wrote:

> > > Do you have any more information on this?  I read somewhere that
> > > sometimes you can port a number to a VoIP provider but not be
> > > able to port it back to the PSTN because not all PSTN providers
> > > will take numbers from VoIP providers.  Is this what you are
> > > talking about?
> >
> > No. Some cell providers do not have the capability to selectively
> > let a telephone number move to another carrier/telco/itsp. They may
> > have technical plans to allow/support it, but the hardware/software
> > necessary to allow/support is not yet in place. Same is true with
> > some smaller telcos.

Another 'game' is that the regulations do not require portability
within a company.  For example, Boost Mobile is the pre-paid arm of
Nextel.  As such, there is no regulatory requirement for portability
between Boost Mobile and Nextel, and they will not do it.  However, you
could port the number from Boost Mobile to Cingular, and then from
Cingular to Nextel.

Regards,
Ozz.