[Asterisk-Users] Aastra firmware 1.3.x. Solution to Far-End sound level issue

BennyBad asterisk-Users at zybercity.dk
Fri Dec 9 02:33:52 MST 2005

Hi list.

I just want to share this information with all the Aastra IP phone users
that has or am going to switch to FirmWare version 1.3.x.

I've just installed a bunch of 480i phones connected to a local Asterisk
1.0.9. Using the pre installed 1.2.x firmware the sound quality and the
sound level at the Far-End was perfect. Installing FW 1.3.x the sound
quality remained the same but the sound level at the Far-End was reduced by
some 40%.

Contacting Aastra resulted in this very usefull information.

Start quote;

The audio issue you mention is a known issue as a result of some audio
adjustments we've added in 1.3.

The audio properties have been adjusted slightly in the 1.3 firmware to
reduce side-tone and echo on the local and far-end equipment. In line with
these adjustments we have added some configurable parameters that allow
users to configure their own audio settings to best suit their needs. These
parameters are only configurable via the .cfg file via a TFTP server and use
the following syntax:

headset tx gain:
headset sidetone gain:
handset tx gain:
handset sidetone gain:
handsfree tx gain:

Each of these parameters can be adjusted by + / - 10 db

Example 1:
headset tx gain: -5 (reduce the headset transmit gain by 5 db)

Example 2:
handset tx gain: 10 (increase the handset transmit gain by 10 db)

Please try adjusting these parameter.

End quote;