[Asterisk-Users] Re: VoipBuster / Finarea

Wolf N. Paul wnp at doulos.at
Tue Dec 6 11:46:07 MST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> btw. does anyone have a definitive list of all the finarea VOIP
> companies?  I can think of:
>
> call1899
> call18866
> voipbuster
> sipdiscount
> voipcheap (note: this one uses a proprietary protocol, similar to IAX
> but over different ports and not compatibile).
>
> ***********************
I try to keep a list of Finarea services (I don't think they are
separate companies, just web presences)
here: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Finarea+SA

Not all of these are VoIP services; in fact if you click the VoIP link
on the call1899 and call18866 pages
you end up on the voipcheap page.

On the subject of using VB with SIP and IAX devices: VB is officially a
beta test, and they have at
various times turned off SIP and IAX compatibility; there seems to be
some relationship of when an
account was created and whether it is SIP/IAX compatible.

VB and VOIPCHEAP customer support say that in theory these services
should work with SIP
and IAX devices, but they don't guarantee it and don't support it. Both
services are intended to be used
with their soft clients (which use IAX or a variant thereof).

Only SIPDISCOUNT is guaranteed to work with SIP and IAX devices, with
the servers sip.sipdiscount.com
and iax.sipdiscount.com respectively.

I have been using VB successfully since May 2005, and SIPDISCOUNT for
the last couple of months,
haven't paid for a single landline call in that time.

--
Wolf N. Paul -- Doulos Communications
wnp at doulos.at -- www.doulos.at