[Asterisk-Users] logging performance, important impact?

Simone Cittadini mymailforlists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:48:25 MST 2005

Moises Silva ha scritto:

> How important is the impact i could have if I have a single entry log
> file in /etc/asterisk/logger.conf wich loggs everything, even debug
> level. This is sometimes important to us because it helps us to make a
> track of the issues some times we have with the system. I just want to
> know if there is a considerable impact in performance because of the
> writing of the logs.

I haven't made benchmarks, but speaking out of my experience and knowing
that asterisk debug level is very verbose I think it will have a
sensible impact.
I can remember a very slow samba installation due to the sysadmin
forgetting to turn off the debug level of logging, it made the
difference between "we can use it" and "we switch back to windows", and
I'm talking about a dozen of users, not big numbers.
Are you sure debug level will help you tracking the issues ? Usually
debug level info is for debug like "what is the bottleneck ?", "why my
prepaid agi isn't doing the update on hangup ?", nothing you need to
keep tracking once you are in production.

<imho>
Is better to log as few expected stuff as possible and as much
unexpected stuff as possible.
</imho>

Anyway autoanswering your question is pretty simple, put an agi which
timestamps the first line of each extension and one for the last one,
send a lot of calls in the system with and without debugging and look at
the results.