[Asterisk-Users] echo canceling algorithm

gw at adcomcorp.com gw at adcomcorp.com
Fri Dec 2 17:44:01 MST 2005

Hello Joe,
I asked the same question.  It is probably a combination of things,
hardware issues like PCI bus latency, plus an issue of interest.  I
suspect the big companies have managed to cover this, but also because
they charge a lot for their equipment.

Being open source, yes you could write your own, and their probably are
bounties out there right now (of which I would add to).  I am going with
a hardware tellabs can via a channel bank.  A real solution?  I asked
this a while ago on the list, and my opinion is it probably will not
happen within the next 3-6 months.  After that I would not know either,
but the popularity of asterisk has grown so much that possibly we would
get lucky with some good algo's that cover more diverse situations.

I find that digium has a great product, and the echo is a big issue.
Many people can usually tweak it out, some cannot (especially those with
issues on lines or long loops).  Even if you are on a long loop that
does not mean the $1000 card will be perfect.  I spent more than that on
a bank and t1 card, but there is also a lot of flexibility.

If you are running 12 ports I would certainly consider a channel bank or
one of those digium cards (which is actually less than your three
tdm400's I beleive), but keep in mind that using a hardware EC like a
tellabs requires either a shelf, or some good project skills.

The aggressive works well, though I cannot say it is 100% perfect.

Maybe a pci-express digium card would help :) Just an idea.

Greg