[Asterisk-Users] echo canceling algorithm

Joe Pukepail pukepail at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 16:28:15 MST 2005

I have been wondering about echo canceling, it seems to be one of the major
problems people have with asterisk.  I've gotten it to acceptable levels
(using mark2 aggressive), but everything I've read indicates that the echo
canceling software isn't very effective.

My question would be, what do we need to get an effective echo canceler (in
asterisk software)?  Is it patent issues?  No experience (I know I don't
know anything about how to write a echo can algorithm) or just getting the
right people interested in writing one ($)?

With digium offering hardware echo can, I can only conclude that echo can
can't be done effectively in software?  If it is a matter of money perhaps a
bunch of users can offer bounties for someone (or some company) to write an
good echo canceler?

With the amount of money that a hardware echo canceling card costs (+$1000
per T1/E1) if half of this were spent on a fund for software echo cancel it
would seem we could do it (if it is even possible using todays
technology??).

I don't mean this as critical of the developers who have done so much, just
an honest question what we (as users) can do to help improve the product.