[Asterisk-Users] Kernel upgrade causes ztdummy to refuse to run

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Fri Dec 2 11:22:30 MST 2005

Hello all,

I recently upgraded the kernel on one of the phone servers I have at home
(dual Xeon 2.4) from 2.6.11 to 2.6.14 in the usual way, copying the .config
file across and building the new kernel. Now ztdummy is refusing to run, and
gives the following errors in dmesg:

ztdummy: Unknown symbol rtc_register
ztdummy: Unknown symbol rtc_unregister
ztdummy: Unknown symbol rtc_control

Which I assume to mean something about the RTC config has changed. The only
options I can find relating to this in the kernel config are:
"Enhanced Real Time Clock Support"
"Generic /dev/rtc emulation"

Enabling Enhanced RTC Support, rebuilding the kernel and restarting allows
ztdummy to load, but dmesg is loaded with messages about "rtc: lost some
interrupts at 1024Hz". Thousands of 'em every few seconds. I also notice
asterisk spiking between 5 and 25% CPU even with no calls or other activity
going on.

The second option (generic /dev/rtc) doesn't seem to affect the ztdummy
error at all.

I know ztdummy definitely worked fine with 2.6.11 and I wasn't getting rtc
errors in the logs. Nothing has changed on the hardware.

Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Chris