[Asterisk-Users] Problem with Hangups

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Aug 30 07:16:45 MST 2005

There's not enough info in the posts below to help. The issue "sounds"
like a problem with "disconnect supervision" (or whatever you want to
call it).

In the case where a sip phone (or other asterisk phone) answers the
call and then hangs up, the zap channel is being hung up properly due
to the sip phone hangup. (That has nothing to do with disconnect
supervision coming from the central office.)

When the call isn't answered by any phone, the zap channel depends on
disconnect supervision coming from the central office. In the US, that
signal is either: a) the dropping of tip/ring voltage to zero (as in
open circuit), or, b) reversal of the tip/ring voltage. In all cases
that I've seen in recent years, the open circuit for about 400 milliseconds
is the most common in the US.

So, to diagnose the problem properly, place a voltmeter across the tip &
ring pstn leads and watch for the open circuit when the pstn caller hangs
up. If you "see" that open circuit, then you likely have either a bug in
stable (which I don't use and can't comment on), or, your dialplan is
arranged to do something odd and not recognize the hangup.

If you want help on this, then give us a clue as to whether you can or
can't see the disconnect supervision, a copy/paste of the section of
zapata.conf that pertains to the zap channel, some indication what the
zap channel really is (eg, TDM, x100p, channel bank), CLI output when
the hangup occurs, and copy/paste of the extensions.conf that is handling
the inbound call.