[Asterisk-Users] delay before dial on TDM04B

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Aug 29 13:48:46 MST 2005

> >>I am searching for a way to add a 2 second delay before calling out with Dial().
> >>Sometimes I get the message "you must first dial a 1 to place this call".
> >>I presume the phone company is missing the first digit pulsed out sometimes.
> >>How do I put a 2 second delay after coming offhook and before dialing the digits?
> >>

> >Come on guy, did you do any research or reading at all? That question has been answered
many many times in the last 60 days.

> >Hint: insert a "w" in the dial string. Each "w" adds about 250 milliseconds of delay.
Example:
> > exten => _9XXXXXXX,1,Dial(Zap/4/w${EXTEN})
> >
> Again, ONLY when dialing DTMF. There is no way to delay dialing pulse,
> which, oh by the way, is still used in a number of places around the world!
>
> What is the correct amount of delay?
> I have read 1 second, 1/2 second, now 1/4 second. Which is correct?

Don't know, but in most dtmf CO's, a single "w" is more then adequate.
Once in a great while a second might be needed.

The issue is that some CO's have to attach an internal "receiver" to
accept the dtmf (or dialpulse), and some CO's are rather slow to do
that. The slowness is very likely to vary by a small amount on each
call, therefore inserting a couple of ww's really doesn't hurt.

If you really need dial pulse, then open a bug on this as the "w" should
be applied to dtmf and dialpulse equally. They are both exactly the same
issue and should have been treated the same. But, I'm fairly certain
the dialpulse logic was added to asterisk after the "w", therefore
whoever did the dialpulse probably forgot all about that piece.

Are you attaching asterisk to your x-y switch? If so, opening a bug is
likely to be the only way to resolve the linefinder delay, or, dig
through the "w" code and copy the process into the dialpulse code.

Rich