[Asterisk-Users] Japanese ISDN BRI card for asterisk (INS64) where to start?

Mick Hastings mick_hastings at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 19:43:30 MST 2005

Hi All,

I currently run asterisk in our office (in Japan) and use a cisco PRI
gateway for connection to the PSTN. I would like to setup some more systems
for our smaller offices (in Japan) that would use BRI and preferably using a
PCI card in the asterisk box and not a seperate Cisco gateway (expensive).
HOWEVER, Japan has this INS64 protocol for their BRI lines and im not sure
what cards are available that are compatible with asterisk and Japanese BRI
(INS64). I know that it is supported by Cisco (like they support Japanese T1
PRI (INS1500)) but it just adds to the cost and is another piece of
hardware.

I tried searching the archives and only found a few references to INS64 and
it didnt sound too promising. I then searched the net and found this
Intel/Dialogic board:

BRI/80-PCI BRI/PCI Series High-Density ISDN Basic Rate Interface Boards
(for details see: http://www.intel.com/network/csp/products/7007web.htm)

It seems to support INS64 but appears to only have windows drivers. Has
anybody used this cards with asterisk? is it possible? or even likely that
it would be supported by any of the linux ISDN drivers?

I also noticed some other mentions of 'ISDN protocol converters' What are
these specifically? (im guessing they convert between US BRI standards and
INS64), how much are they? where do I get one?

Has anybody out there got an asterisk system running with INS64 connections
to their box? If so could you please let me know how you are doing it, else
can anybody offer any information as to where I should start to look for
more informaion this topic?

I really appreciate the help.

cheers,
Mick Hastings