[Asterisk-Users] Good Deal on A Good Asterisk Box?

trixter http://www.0xdecafbad.com trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Sun Aug 28 14:42:06 MST 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 21:05 -0400, asterisk wrote:
> I am assuming two, couldn't a USB NIC be used?  Obviously not gigabit
> but can anyone see any problems with that setup?

USB throughput is less than max bandwidth which is what is advertised.
Add a hub and it gets even worse.  There is a substantial framing
overhead for usb.

USB 1.1 has a raw transfer rate of 12Mbps
USB 2.0 has a raw transfer speed of 480Mbps

I believe the polling of USB devices is slightly more processor
intensive than of a pci card, but could be wrong (and then it may just
be the drivers that make it appear that way).

In theory 100Mbps wont have a problem on a USB 2.0 host, plenty of
bandwidth to spare, and depending on application it may be acceptable.
I however would not use such a device in a busy data center/colo for
fear that someone might unplug it (accidentally or intentionally) since
usb doesnt really lock in place.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378