[Asterisk-Users] Newbie :SIP ETXTN to SIP EXTN calls

Gary Smith gary at pbltd.net
Sat Aug 27 08:56:35 MST 2005

I am new to asterisk and need to dig up some info on how to set it all
up. It looks a bit daunting especially all the options available in the
  .conf files.

I have 2 SIP phones, GXP2000 and a budgettone 100.
phone1 - 192.168.0.160/24 extension 1000
phone2 - 192.168.0.161/24 extension 1001
Server - 192.168.0.57

I get the following all the time, but can make calls between the 2
extensions, 1000 and 1001 after a long time with forbidden messages on
phones.

My questions are,

1. Do these phones need to register with the server
2. Where does the authentication info go in the SIP.conf & Extensions.conf.
3. Where do I find some good documentation on asterisk/ the conf files.

Apologies for the appearance below.

Aug 27 17:51:03 NOTICE[3877]: chan_sip.c:4045 sip_reg_timeout:    --
Registration for 'phone1 at 192.168.0.57' timed out, trying again
Aug 27 17:51:03 NOTICE[3877]: chan_sip.c:4922 register_verify: Peer
'phone1' is trying to register, but not configured as host=dynamic
Aug 27 17:51:03 NOTICE[3877]: chan_sip.c:7733 handle_request:
Registration from '<sip:phone1 at 192.168.0.57>' failed for '192.168.0.57'
Aug 27 17:51:03 WARNING[3877]: chan_sip.c:6869 handle_response:
Forbidden - wrong password on authentication for REGISTER for 'phone1'
to '192.168.0.57'
Aug 27 17:51:10 NOTICE[3877]: chan_sip.c:4045 sip_reg_timeout:    --
Registration for 'phone2 at 192.168.0.57' timed out, trying again
Aug 27 17:51:10 NOTICE[3877]: chan_sip.c:4922 register_verify: Peer
'phone2' is trying to register, but not configured as host=dynamic
Aug 27 17:51:10 NOTICE[3877]: chan_sip.c:7733 handle_request:
Registration from '<sip:phone2 at 192.168.0.57>' failed for '192.168.0.57'
Aug 27 17:51:10 WARNING[3877]: chan_sip.c:6869 handle_response:
Forbidden - wrong password on authentication for REGISTER for 'phone2'
to '192.168.0.57'

My sip.conf

======================
[phone1]
username=phone1[root at asterisk asterisk]# cat sip.conf|more
;
; SIP Configuration for Asterisk
;
; Syntax for specifying a SIP device in extensions.conf is
; SIP/devicename where devicename is defined in a section below.
;
; You may also use
; SIP/username at domain to call any SIP user on the Internet
; (Don't forget to enable DNS SRV records if you want to use this)
;
; If you define a SIP proxy as a peer below, you may call
; SIP/proxyhostname/user or SIP/user at proxyhostname
; where the proxyhostname is defined in a section below
;
; Useful CLI commands to check peers/users:
;   sip show peers              Show all SIP peers (including friends)
;   sip show users              Show all SIP users (including friends)
;   sip show registry           Show status of hosts we register with
;
;   sip debug                   Show all SIP messages
;
;   reload chan_sip.so          Reload configuration file
;                               Active SIP peers will not be reconfigured
;

[general]
context=sip
;context=default                        ; Default context for incoming calls
;recordhistory=yes              ; Record SIP history by default
                                 ; (see sip history / sip no history)
;realm=mydomain.tld             ; Realm for digest authentication
                                 ; defaults to "asterisk"
                                 ; Realms MUST be globally unique
according to RFC 3261
                                 ; Set this to your host name or domain name
port=5060                       ; UDP Port to bind to (SIP standard port
is 5060)
bindaddr=0.0.0.0                ; IP address to bind to (0.0.0.0 binds
to all)
srvlookup=yes                   ; Enable DNS SRV lookups on outbound calls
                                 ; Note: Asterisk only uses the first host
                                 ; in SRV records
                                 ; Disabling DNS SRV lookups disables the
                                 ; ability to place SIP calls based on
domain ;videosupport=yes               ; Turn on support for SIP video

disallow=all                    ; First disallow all codecs
allow=ulaw                      ; Allow codecs in order of preference
allow=ilbc                      ; Note: codec order is respected only in
[general]
musicclass=default              ; Sets the default music on hold class
for all SIP calls
                                 ; This may also be set for individual
users/peers
language=en                     ; Default language setting for all
users/peers
                                 ; This may also be set for individual
users/peers
;relaxdtmf=yes                  ; Relax dtmf handling
;rtptimeout=60                  ; Terminate call if 60 seconds of no RTP
activity
                                 ; when we're not on hold
;rtpholdtimeout=300             ; Terminate call if 300 seconds of no
RTP activity
                                 ; when we're on hold (must be > rtptimeout)
;trustrpid = no                 ; If Remote-Party-ID should be trusted
;progressinband=no              ; If we should generate in-band ringing
always
useragent=Asterisk              ; Allows you to change the user agent string
nat=no                          ; NAT settings
                                 ; yes = Always ignore info and assume NAT
                                 ; no = Use NAT mode only according to
RFC3581
                                 ; never = Never attempt NAT mode or
RFC3581 support
                                 ; route = Assume NAT, don't send rport
(work around more UNIDEN bugs)
;promiscredir = no      ; If yes, allows 302 or REDIR to non-local SIP
address
;                       ; Note that promiscredir when redirects are made
to the
;                       ; local;
;     This will pass incoming calls to the 's' extension
;
;
;register => 2345:password at sip_proxy/1234
;
;    Register 2345 at sip provider 'sip_proxy'.  Calls from this
provider connect to local
;    extension 1234 in extensions.conf default context, unless you define
;    unless you configure a [sip_proxy] section below, and configure a
context.
;        Tip 1: Avoid assigning hostname to a sip.conf section like
[provider.com]
;        Tip 2: Use separate type=peer and type=user sections for SIP
providers
;                      (instead of type=friend) if you have calls in
both directions

externip = a.b.c.d        ; Address that we're going to put in outbound
SIP messages
                                 ; if we're behind a NAT

                                 ; The externip and localnet is used
                                 ; when registering and communicating
with other proxies
                                 ; that we're registered with
                                 ; You may add multiple local networks.
  A reasonable set of defaults
                                 ; are:
localnet=192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0; All RFC 1918 addresses are local
networks
;localnet=10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0    ; Also RFC1918
;localnet=172.16.0.0/12         ; Another RFC1918 with CIDR notation
;localnet=169.254.0.0/255.255.0.0 ;Zero conf local network

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Users and peers have different settings available. Friends have all
settings,
; since a friend is both a peer and a user
;
; User config options:        Peer configuration:
; --------------------        -------------------
; context                     context
; permit                      permit
; deny                        deny
; secret                      secret
; md5secret                   md5secret
; dtmfmode                    dtmfmode
; canreinvite                 canreinvite
; nat                         nat
; callgroup                   callgroup
; pickupgroup                 pickupgroup
; language                    language
; allow                       allow
; disallow                    disallow
; insecure                    insecure
; trustrpid                   trustrpid
; progressinband              progressinband
; promiscredir                promiscredir
; callerid
; accountcode system will cause loops since SIP is incapable
;                       ; of performing a "hairpin" call.
;
; If regcontext is specified, Asterisk will dynamically
; create and destroy a NoOp priority 1 extension for a given
; peer who registers or unregisters with us.  The actual extension
; is the 'regexten' parameter of the registering peer or its
; name if 'regexten' is not provided.  More than one regexten may be
supplied
; if they are separated by '&'.  Patterns may be used in regexten.
;
;regcontext=iaxregistrations
;
; Asterisk can register as a SIP user agent to a SIP proxy (provider)
; Format for the register statement is:
;       register => user[:secret[:authuser]]@host[:port][/extension]
;
; If no extension is given, the 's' extension is used. The extension
; needs to be defined in extensions.conf to be able to accept calls
; from this SIP proxy (provider)
;
; host is either a host name defined in DNS or the name of a
; section defined below.
;
; Examples:
;
;register => 1234:password at mysipprovider.com
;

                                 ; names to some other SIP users on the
Internet

;pedantic=yes                   ; Enable slow, pedantic checking for Pingtel
                                 ; and multiline formatted headers for
strict
                                 ; SIP compatibility (defaults to "no")
;tos=184                        ; Set IP QoS to either a keyword or
numeric val
;tos=lowdelay                   ;
lowdelay,throughput,reliability,mincost,none
;maxexpirey=3600                ; Max length of incoming registration we
allow
;defaultexpirey=120             ; Default length of incoming/outoing
registration
;notifymimetype=text/plain      ; Allow overriding of mime type in MWI NO
type=friend                    ; either "friend" (peer+user), "peer" or
"user"
context=sip
fromuser=phone1          ; overrides the callerid, e.g. required by FWD
callerid="1000" <1000>
secret=1000
;host=192.168.0.160              ; we have a static but private IP address
host=dynamic
nat=no                         ; there is not NAT between phone and Asterisk
canreinvite=yes                ; allow RTP voice traffic to bypass Asterisk
dtmfmode=info                  ; either RFC2833 or INFO for the BudgeTone
incominglimit=1                ; permit only 1 outgoing call at a time
                                 ; from the phone to asterisk
mailbox=1000 at default  ; mailbox 1234 in voicemail context "default"
disallow=all                   ; need to disallow=all before we can use
allow=
allow=ulaw                     ; Note: In user sections the order of codecs
                                 ; listed with allow= does NOT matter!
allow=alaw
allow=g723.1                   ; Asterisk only supports g723.1 pass-thru!
allow=g729                     ; Pass-thru only unless g729 license obtained

; amaflags
; incominglimit
; restrictcid
;                             mailbox
;                             username
;                             template
;                             fromdomain
;                             regexten
;                             fromuser
;                             host
;                             mask
;                             port
;                             qualify
;                             defaultip
;                             rtptimeout
;                             rtpholdtimeout

;[sip_proxy]
; For incoming calls only. Example: FWD (Free World Dialup)
;type=user
;context=from-fwd

;[sip_proxy-out]
;type=peer                      ; we only want to call out, not be called
;secret=guessit
;username=yourusername          ; Authentication user for outbound proxies
;fromuser=yourusername          ; Many SIP providers require this!
;host=box.provider.com

;[grandstream1]
;type=friend                    ; either "friend" (peer+user), "peer" or
"user"
;context=from-sip
;fromuser=grandstream1          ; overrides the callerid, e.g. required
by FWD
;callerid=John Doe <1234>
;host=192.168.0.23              ; we have a static but private IP address
;nat=no                         ; there is not NAT between phone and
Asterisk
;canreinvite=yes                ; allow RTP voice traffic to bypass Asterisk
;dtmfmode=info                  ; either RFC2833 or INFO for the BudgeTone
;incominglimit=1                ; permit only 1 outgoing call at a time
                                 ; from the phone to asterisk
;mailbox=1234 at default  ; mailbox 1234 in voicemail context "default"
;disallow=all                   ; need to disallow=all before we can use
allow=
;allow=ulaw                     ; Note: In user sections the order of codecs
                                 ; listed with allow= does NOT matter!
;allow=alaw
;allow=g723.1                   ; Asterisk only supports g723.1 pass-thru!
;allow=g729                     ; Pass-thru only unless g729 license
obtained

[phone2]
username=phone2
type=friend                    ; either "friend" (peer+user), "peer" or
"user"
context=sip
secret=1001
fromuser=phone2          ; overrides the callerid, e.g. required by FWD
callerid="1001" <1001>
host=dynamic
;host=192.168.0.161              ; we have a static but private IP address
nat=no                         ; there is not NAT between phone and Asterisk
canreinvite=yes                ; allow RTP voice traffic to bypass Asterisk
dtmfmode=info                  ; either RFC2833 or INFO for the BudgeTone
incominglimit=1                ; permit only 1 outgoing call at a time
                                 ; from the phone to asterisk
mailbox=1001 at default            ; mailbox 1234 in voicemail context
"default"
disallow=all                   ; need to disallow=all before we can use
allow=
allow=ulaw                     ; Note: In user sections the order of codecs
                                 ; listed with allow= does NOT matter!
allow=alaw
allow=g723.1                   ; Asterisk only supports g723.1 pass-thru!
allow=g729                     ; Pass-thru only unless g729 license

====================

My Extensions.conf

====================

[root at asterisk asterisk]# cat extensions.conf|more
[sip]
exten => 1000,1,Dial(SIP/phone1,20,tr)
exten => 1001,1,Dial(SIP/phone2,20,tr)
exten => 1002,1,Dial(SIP/phone1&SIP/phone2,20,tr)

rest is as per extensions.conf.sample except commenting out the section
at the bottom referring to extension 1000.

Thanks

--
Gary