[Asterisk-Users] Help Solving Asterisk Lockups

ewr at erols.com ewr at erols.com
Fri Aug 26 18:27:05 MST 2005

I am currently testing a new Asterisk installation.  The server has a T100P
connected to a PRI, and about 50 Polycom IP600 phones connected via the
local network.  Every couple hours, Asterisk randomly stops responding to
all calls, both incoming on the PRI and calls from the SIP phones.  I'm not
sure how or where to start debugging it.

When Asterisk stops working I can still connect to it with "asterisk -r".
All of the commands I've tried such as "sip show channels" and "zap show
channels" show the last statuses of when asterisk stopped working.  I am
running asterisk at debug level 9, but nothing appears in the logs when
asterisk stops responding.  Calls to the PRI generate a busy signal, and
calls from the SIP phones just time out.  No new messages appear on the
debug console.  "extensions reload" did not make a difference, but a
"restart now" fixes the problem for awhile.

We originally were running CVS-HEAD from several weeks ago, but updated to
CVS-HEAD from today and are still having the same problem.  We are using
Slackware 10.1, Realtime (talking to Mysql on the same machine), ldapget,
app_ldap, rx and txfax, and logging CDR's to mysql.

Any suggestions on how to figure out what is happening would be appreciated!
I saw someone else mention using "strace -p" to figure out exactly what
asterisk is doing... are there other methods?  Which of the many asterisk
process ID's should I use with strace?

Thanks!

Eric