[Asterisk-Users] chan_capi, modprobe: Can't locate module capifs, ERROR: fopen(/etc/capi.conf, r)

Armin Schindler armin at melware.de
Wed Aug 24 23:06:44 MST 2005

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Goran Dj. wrote:
> > But, now I cannot start chan_capi.so:
> > WARNING[802]: chan_capi.c:3106 load_module: CAPI not installed, CAPI
> > disabled!
> >
> > from tty:
> > capiinit
> > ERROR: cannot open /dev/capi20 nor /dev/isdn/capi20 - No such file or
> > directory (2)
> >
> > capiinfo
> > capi not installed - No such file or directory (2)
> >
> > capiinit show
> > ERROR: fopen(/etc/capi.conf,r) failed - No such file or directory (2)
> > ERROR: no cards configured in /etc/capi.conf
>

> I resolved missing /dev/capi20 with shell script "makedev-capi.sh"
> but, now, when starting capiinit:
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module capifs
> modprobe: Can't locate module capifs
> WARNING: filesystem capifs not available
> ERROR: fopen(/etc/capi.conf,r) failed - No such file or directory (2)

capifs is not necessary. You only need this when you want to use e.g.
pppd with the pppdcapiplugin.
This is an option in the kernel config.

Anyway, just installing the capi drivers isn't enough, because your isdn
card must provide a capi interface (which is then connected to kernelcapi).
As far as I know, your card is supported by the HiSax driver, but this
driver does not provide capi interface, only the 'old' isdn4linux interfaces
like ttyI are supported.
The new mISDN does provide CAPI, but I don't know the status of the support
for your card.

/etc/capi.conf and capiinit is used by AVM cards only. It's useless for you.

Armin