[Asterisk-Users] Motherboards and IRQs

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Aug 24 20:34:36 MST 2005

Get ye to a used computer store and get one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-Deskpro-EN-Desktop-550MHZ-128MB-6-4GB_W0QQitemZ52
33796857QQcategoryZ51114QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Your original post said you were trying to get a small office going. This
would be suitable for a dozen or so users as long as you weren't
transcoding.

When you boot it, hit F10 and go into the BIOS. In Advanced Setup > PCI you
can set any PCI card to any IRQ you want. A TDM card shows up as "Unknown
Intel network controller". I set my TDM22 to IRQ 11 and disabled the onboard
audio, parallell, etc to give plenty of free IRQ's. I set the Intel NIC to
IRQ 7, for example, the same IRQ as the parallel port.

On mine, zttest yields 100% about 70% of the time, no echo, and with 3
extensions going, top says CPU at ~10%. It took me a couple hours total to
get it going first time with Asterisk at Home and that includes terminating the
cat5 and setting up a telemarketer honeypot. Hey, for $50, what do you have
to loose?