[Asterisk-Users] Will Echo problems EVER be solved, I'm scared

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Wed Aug 24 18:34:16 MST 2005

First off, thank you *very* much for this unbelievably informative post!  I've
got it saved away now along with Kris Boutilier's adjusting rxgain/txgain
post.

On Wednesday 24 August 2005 17:14, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> At the point where the phone line get's to your demarc the is supposed
> to ba a -2 to 3db reference point, sometimes called a -2 or -3 test
> level point (TLP).  So that milliwatt tone at that point should read in
> the range of -2 to -3 dbm.

Ok so since -3dB is 1/2 power we should be expecting a reading of 7422 in
ztmonitor if it's a linear reading of the signal.

> If the milliwatt is arriving at the demarc at the nominal -2 to -3dbm
> and getting into the asterisk to be measured at 8dBm (+8dbm0), I'd say
> something is grossly mal-adjusted.  You're seeing 8db of gain!

No, he was saying he had to set his rxgain to 8 in order to get a level of
14844 (0dBm) in ztmonitor.

-A.