[Asterisk-Users] Record(filename:gsm) very quiet

Karl S. Katzke karl at streetlampsoftware.com
Wed Aug 24 18:13:21 MST 2005

When I make a recording by setting up an extension with a record()
statement in my dialplan, the resulting recording plays VERY quietly
when it's played back over a POTS line, even though it sounds fine in
the office. Is there any way to increase the gain on in-office
recordings? I read the wiki and didn't find anything ... is there a
better way to make these recordings for someone who doesn't have any
sound equipment?
When the gsm file is playing back, it sounds like it's doing some funky
slience compression... so when I start to speak, it won't be loud at the
beginning, but it will slowly get louder. Whenever I pause, the first
word I say when I start again will be quiet. This is also a problem when
recording voicemail greetings.
I know that my voice sounds fine when I'm calling out, it's just the
greetings that are faint.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Karl Katzke