[Asterisk-Users] Google introduces text/audio chat client andservice

Mat Stace, Colewood Internet mps at colewood.net
Wed Aug 24 01:32:46 MST 2005

Lifted from the developer page of the google talk site
(http://www.google.com/talk/developer.html)

5. What protocols are used for voice calls?

Google Talk supports a custom XMPP-based signaling protocol and peer-to-peer
communication mechanism. We will fully document this protocol. In the near
future, we plan to support SIP signaling.

Looks like it's not quite there yet. I'm willing to bet there'll be a
massive sign up (mostly from this list) when they do start supporting SIP -
could Google be the driving force to a massive take up in * - when all the
regular joes who sign up to google want to extend their google voip with
answerphones etc?