[Asterisk-Users] Dial, RING with a digit interrupt

Chris Coulthurst asterisk at shuksan.com
Mon Aug 22 18:13:42 MST 2005

This is a new post, but its really a three-time retread.  I hope someone has a clue on this, as it could be helpful in many circumstances:

I am looking for a way to dial 'special' an extension (in house, like 102), which are all Polycom IP.  I'd like to ring the extension as normal, but have the option of, while the line is ringing, to press a digit, hop out to a new context and/or priority and do something else.

Even a key system as basic as the Panasonic 616 let you press 1 while ringing an extension, and user-permissions allowing, would force the call in to off-hook voice announce.  If you called an extension that was busy, pressing 6 would make the called party's phone ring you back when they hang up.  These are two seemingly simple ideas, but I've not yet come up with a good concept of how.

I've looked at the command RetryDial, which in many ways comes close, but misses.    Something tells me this is going to be a "playtones" type of situation, but I have no clue if, or how its possible to generate ringtone on the handset, then drop in to the next priority to actually RING the extension, all the while waiting for a digit.  Once it gets that digit, it has to stop the playtones, hangup the channel to clear it, and immediately ring it back with ALERT_INFO=answer/ring-answer.  If I could make that happen, I swear I'll fart sunshine-dust.  ;)

Any ideas to move in the right direction, hints and similar suggestions are more than welcome!

Chris Coulthurst
chris at shuksan.com