[Asterisk-Users] Pause during dialing to enter another number

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Mon Aug 22 14:28:32 MST 2005

John Novack wrote:

> William Suffill wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest Dial(trunk/18005555555,30,D(1ww5555ww25555)
>>
>> That will cause it to dial that DMTF string on connect and w  causes a
>> pause. I haven't tested it just referenced
>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+cmd+Dial
>> and
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2004-November/071853.html
>>

> Yet the Wiki says otherwise. w and W allow call recording
>
> What is the CORRECT information regarding dialing and inserting pauses??

I have posted this same response to this same issue already a few weeks ago.

There are two separate syntactic uses of "w"

One of them is an OPTION to the Dial() command; it enables recording, as
you note.

The other is a PSEUDO-DIGIT used in a DTMF string; it causes a short
pause in the stream of DTMF down the channel.

In other words, there's no confusion because each is used in a different
syntactic context.

B.