[Asterisk-Users] Cut leading digit?

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Mon Aug 22 05:43:11 MST 2005

Using a spa3000 with asterisk cvs head, and the spa3k is config'ed with
a dialplan that essentially routes any call starting with an "8" to
asterisk. All other US 7 and 10 digit calls, 911, etc, route via the
spa3k's fxo port.

Is there a way in extensions.conf to:
 - inspect the dialed exten number,
 - if first digit is "8", drop the 8,
 - continue through each "include => ...",
 - dial the remaining $extn digits

The number of elements in extensions.conf is somewhat lengthy, so
looking for a way to do the above one time early in asterisk's
search through the various dialplan elements.

I guess an alternative might be to strip the "8" in the spa3k before
it sends the call to asterisk, but I've not found a way to do that
as yet.

Thoughts?