[Asterisk-Users] Effectively using a telco Type 102 Milliwatt Test line with ztmon itor -v to set txgain/rxgain in zapata?

canuck15 canuck15 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 22 00:20:05 MST 2005

> I am trying to obtain optimum gain settings for a bank of analog lines
> connected to a channel bank. My telco has provided a 'Type 102' test line
> use for incoming level calibration. This is functionally equivalent to app
> Milliwatt(), but provides tone from the CO inwards.
>
> Question is, how should one use this a 0dbm test source with ztmonitor? Am
> correct in understanding that a 0dbm level should provide a 100% drive in
> the level monitor, not a 50% drive as is otherwise 'optimum' for regular
> voice traffic?

Yes, that is correct.  the 0dbm level should provide 100% drive in the level
monitor.  Actually, I found it to be more than 100%. The grahical display
was at 100% but the quantative reading only read about 6000.  I needed to
add a couple db to the rx gain to get it to around 14500.  It you are
running Asterisk v1.0.9 you only need to edit one line in your
usr/src/zaptel/ztmonitor.c file and then recompile the zaptel driver.

Change line 261

fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ztmonitor <channel num> [-v] [-f FILE]\n");

fprintf(stderr, "Usage: ztmonitor <channel num> [-v | -f FILE]\n");

Recompile

cd /usr/src/zaptel
make && make install

Run ztmonitor in verbose mode

/ztmonitor 1 -vv
and you should see RX and TX levels in number form on the right hand side