[Asterisk-Users] Ring more than two isdn phones simultaneously

Arik Funke arik.funke at gmx.de
Sun Aug 21 11:01:00 MST 2005

If this is a limitation of asterisk, where is it located? In the
chan_zap module? In zaphfc? I.e. would it help if I switched to mISDN?

Best regards,
Arik

Peter Svensson <psvasterisk at psv.nu> wrote:

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Nico Giefing wrote:

 >> how many connection do you have from your asterisk to the old pbx?
 >>
 >> i think on 1 ISDN connection its only possible to let 2 phones ring,
because
 >> 1 ISDN 2 channels...

This is a limitation in Asterisk, not ISDN. Asterisk reserves a B-channel
for each destination at the time of the CONNECT message. In the isdn world
it is common to not actually allocate a B-channel until it is needed to
carry audio. This also prevents Asterisk from letting the upstream switch
select the B-channel on outgoing calls to the pstn.

Asterisk is written this way since it uses the audio channel as the
fundamental unit, with the D-channel as carrier of signalling for the
individual B-channels. Another way to view ISDN is to consider the
D-channel the fundamental unit, which can carry several audio streams as a
side effect of the signalling. The first viewpoint resembles the
traditional view of telephony as individual circuits, the second resembles
the ISDN/SS7 view of the world.

Changing Asterisk to be more ISDN-like is quite a lot of work.

Peter

Peter
-- Peter Svensson ! Pgp key available by finger, fingerprint:
<petersv at psv.nu> ! 8A E9 20 98 C1 FF 43 E3 07 FD B9 0A 80 72 70 AF