[Asterisk-Users] CALL QUALITY PROBLEM...

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Sat Aug 20 03:23:56 MST 2005

Hi

Some basic mailing lists ethics:

1. writing in CAPITAL LETTERS usually indicates SHOUTING. Please don't
do that.

2. when you want to start a new message to the list, write a new
message, and don't just reply to an existing list message.

3. Proper English is also preffered, so readers spend less time on
trying to understand your English and more on trying to help you. (/me
no native English speaker and I know it shows well on my messages. I
try, though).

For the convinience of the readers, quoted message was converted to
small caps (gu).

See reply below,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 07:18:44PM -0700, Ing. Marlo R. Beltran G wrote:
> hi
>
> i just implemented asterisk and is such a grate solution...i am using it
> polycom 301 and 501 phones....on lan a iam using g.711 and i have a 16 port
> linksys switch...
>
> the problem is when somebody inside the network is making  a call to other
> extension (in the same network) and for example is sending an e mail to the
> internet the quality goes down...it hears rally bad...
>
> i am on a 10/100 network with cat5e on cable, and switches...what can i do
> to have an excelent voice quality inside my network???

Do you actually use a 100Mbit full-duplex network? mii-tool is the
simplest way to check that on Linux. If your card does not support it,
maybe the messages in dmesg will tell.

Also: does the relevant mail go through the computer that runs Asterisk?
If so, all the switching may be irrelevant. In that case this may also
be due to CPU usage issues rather than a network issue.