[Asterisk-Users] Configuring Asterisk as SIP client behind NAT

Balaji NJL bajjeen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 19 18:45:09 MST 2005

Hi All,

I recently signed up with a VOIP provider that
supports SIP. By default the provider supports X-term.
i downloaded X-lite configured as mentioned in their
site and got it working.

These are the details for configuring x-lite
Enter the SIP Proxy server address.
Example:
Domain/Realm: 216.xx.xxx.7
SIP Proxy: 216.xx.xxx.7
Out Bound Proxy: 216.xx.xxx.6
Use Outbound Proxy: Always

3.      Advanced System Settings (these must be
entered)
a.      Select DTMF Settings and verify settings.
Example:
DTMF Force Send In Band: NO
DTMF Magic Number: 101
b.      Select RTP Settings and disable “Obey Reverse
UDP mapping Rules”.
Example:
Obey Reverse UDP Mapping Rules: NO

I did search and found this link that explains how to
configure asterisk as a sip client.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=asterisk+config+sip.conf

But here its not mentioned where i would include
outbound proxy details.

The definition of outbound proxy in this link
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-SIP+outbound+proxy
makes me believe that this is similar to webproxy.

Since x-lite is working I think there shd be some way
to make asterisk working too. Am i right. Can someone
help me on this pl.

thanks,
-B