[Asterisk-Users] Sending digits from SIP to Asterisk's VoiceMailMain

Jeremy Gault jgault at winworld.cc
Fri Aug 19 11:21:27 MST 2005

It sounds to me like an issue of transmitting DTMF tones from the SIP
phones.

There are several methods that can be used to accomplish DTMF from SIP
phones.  Of course, you may ask why it isn't just sent as audio (like a
regular POTS phone would.)  What happens if you are using a SIP phone,
hold down the number 4 button for two seconds (so it sends 2 seconds
worth of DTMF on the audio stream) and there is some packet loss during
that time?  You'll have an audio dropout (thus, tone followed by brief
silence and tone again.)  The remote end will see this as two tones, not
one, which obviously can cause undesired results (and is why it's not a
good idea to send DTMF in the audio stream.)

That being said, look in your sip.conf for a dtmfmode parameter.  You
can use inband (in the audio stream, not recommended), RFC2833, or SIP
INFO.  Your SIP phone should also allow you to set how DTMF is sent
(although it may not support all of these formats.)  Preferably, use
RFC2833 or SIP INFO.  Find a setting that is available on your phone and
on *, and make sure they're set to match.  Once you do that, it should work.

          Jeremy