[Asterisk-Users] Re:How many TDM22P Card can be used on thesame PC ?

Tom Rymes trymes at rymesheating.com
Fri Aug 19 07:17:07 MST 2005

On Aug 18, 2005, at 6:08 PM, kalezade at boun.edu.tr wrote:

[snip]
>> As everyone else has said, you *might* be able to make it work,
>> but it is
>> extremely unlikely. You want to buy a T1 interface and a channel
>> bank.
>> Tom
>>

> And nobody knows/mentions (in archives) why it will fail on a
> """reliable"""
> system.(If you dont know how asterisk handles those cards, you can
> blame
> everything...)

I am more and more convinced that this whole thing is just a troll,
but here goes anyway:

You are 100% correct. The problem isn't that the cards are so very
sensitive to interrupt issues that using more than one or two causes
problems. The problem is that none of the 10,000+ technology
professionals on this list knows how to build or purchase a
"""reliable""" system. Maybe you should call the manufacturer
(Digium) and ask them what they think.

Basically, you have two choices:

1.) Listen to the list members, who are all telling you that, even if
6 TDM cards might theoretically work, in practice it is damn near
impossible to make it happen. Moreover, if you do manage to get it
working because you are such an experienced and amazing
"""reliable""" system builder, everything will always have to be 100%
spot-on for it to work.
2.) Buy the six TDM cards, install them, get them working, and prove
everyone wrong. We certainly aren't infallible, but keep in mine that
you aren't the first intelligent person to have this idea.

The $64,000 question is, of course, why you would ever want to do it.
A TDM400B card with 4 FXO ports costs $337.00 from Digium, while a
TE110P costs $595.00, and a used channel bank costs $1000 or less on
eBay. $2022.00 > $1595.00, and you would still have a less
"""reliable""" system. Not to mention that a system with 6*TDM is no
longer expandable, while a system with a TE110P and a channel bank
still has PCI slots you can use.

Tom