[Asterisk-Users] 1-800 number

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Fri Aug 19 06:07:51 MST 2005

> > Just call a milliwatt..?
> you have a number?
> I'm also willing to pay my regular fees to my provider for those 3-4 minutes
> of testing.

Milliwatt generators are essentially part of every telephone company's
central office switch, and typically are provided by the telco for their
installers and technicians to use when diagnosing problems with customer
lines. Some telco's require their install technicians to measure the cable
loss (amoung other items) for every new install and record those values
on service orders, etc.

The telephone number assigned to the milliwatt generator is 100% dependent
on the local telco engineering selection and is not standard from one
telco company to another. Historically, those telephone numbers that end
with 98 and 99 "use to be" a defacto standard, but not any more.

The actual telephone number associated with the milliwatt generator is
typically not published by the telco. However, in some cases the telco's
repair service will give out those numbers when asked. If that doesn't
work, then catch a telco installer in the neighborhood (or coffee shop)
and ask them for the number. Its always a local toll-free number.

Assuming you're not aware, asterisk also provides a milliwatt generator
function and it can be programmed in extensions.conf something like:
 ; Provides a milliwatt tone generator
 exten => 3911,1,Milliwatt()

If you have multiple pstn lines, dial out through one line and back into
your asterisk box to hit that extension.