[Asterisk-Users] Cisco ATA-186 working peer to peer

Stewart Nelson sn at scgroup.com
Thu Aug 18 13:13:06 MST 2005

Hi Luis,

> Can anyone can tell me if I can connect 2 Cisco ATA-186 in a peer to peer
layout
> (without an Asterisk server registerisng the devices) through Internet?

If running MGCP or SCCP, no.

If running H.323 or SIP, and both ATAs are on static public IPs, no problem.
Just specify the address of each unit as the gateway or proxy for the other.
Disable registration.

If NAT and/or dynamic IP is involved, it depends on what firmware version
you are running, whether the NATs are aware of the protocol being used,
and whether you have administrative control of them.

But, why are you trying to do this?  If you just register the two
units with Free World Dialup or similar, it should work ok with NAT
and dynamic IP, and the config will be provided for you.

--Stewart