[Asterisk-Users] Voicemail file permissions

Chris Coulthurst asterisk at shuksan.com
Wed Aug 17 22:28:24 MST 2005

If you want to use samba for their checking, you COULD use smb.conf to
control which users get in to which folders.  You might make
/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default readable by all, and make [username]
entries in smb.conf to add 'admin user' accesses to only their voicemail
directory tree.  I know it is doable, but I can't remember all the commands
in samba off-hand to do it.

Even if this is not EXACTLY the best way to do it, at least it gives you a
couple ideas to manipulate...

One thing you might think about is using a script to map voicemail
extensions to known samba usernames/groups, and have the script chown the
specific directories to that samba username and group.  I don't know what
variables are passed (if any) from Comedian mail, but it doesn't really
matter, since that script could read a list of ALL vm/username mappings each
time voicemail is left, checked, deleted, and make a change to all of the vm
users at the same time.  Some would be redundant, but its not exactly eating
up a ton of cpu cycles to chown users.

Chris Coulthurst
chris at shuksan.com