[Asterisk-Users] quad t1 / 1U rack server combos

Damon Estep damon at suburbanbroadband.net
Tue Aug 16 13:54:30 MST 2005

I have to agree, 4xT1 density is too low for $2500. If there is some
magic sauce inside the box then maybe.

What exactly is it? A 4 BRI card in a mini Linux install? Who maintains
the SIP-ISDN translations? What about docs and support? What are the
chances the box is really just an mini * server?

IBM
> > x306 SCSI system with an A102u I believe that the system will scale
up

> > to 4xT1's easily.
> > With a full T1 of traffic coming in and playing music on hold, the
CPU

> > was at 7% with no transcoding.
> >
> > Sangoma cards are supposed to place less draw on the interrupts and
> > offer some new direct writing to DMA in their A104 cards. You may
want

> > to give them a call (Scott or Nenad are the two best people to speak
> > with).
> >
> > From Sangoma README.asterisk:
> > * Voice data is channelized and grouped into  8 byte chunks in
> > HARDWARE.  Each voice   channel is then DMAed directly into the
> > ZAPTEL  buffers.  Thus there is ZERO copy from HARDWARE  to ZAPTEL,
> > resulting in better performance and  scalability.*
> >

> > It sounds to me like that would be once advantage over Digiums
cards.
> > They also have Hardware PRI functions that are passed directly to
> libpri.
> > http://sangoma.com/linux/README.asterisk
> >
> > Hope that helps.
> >
> > Chad