[Asterisk-Users] Re: Why NAT problem

Kamran Ahmad p_kami at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 02:29:48 MST 2005

hello

but this conf was working for me when i installed
asterisk last time. and UA was successfully reg and
working.

i think port forwarding is not the solution. because
it was working without port forwarding in my last
installation.

it is a simple case UA behind NAT and Asterisk is on
public ip

[general]
context=default
port=5060
bindaddr=0.0.0.0
srvlookup=yes
nat=yes
canreinvite=no

[5000]
type=friend
port=5060
canreinvite=no
host=dynamic
nat=yes
insecure=yes
auth=plaintext

>In case of IAX phones, this is not appliacble. IAX
uses same port for
>both
>control and voice.
>
>I have not tried CISCO phones, but I beleive you do
need port
>forwarding if
>they are SIP phones. Otherwise, they will not accept
calls. At least
>this is
>the case with Polycom phones.
>
>Rudolf

Discussion"
><asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>Sent: Sunday, August 14, 2005 12:30 PM
>Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Why NAT problem
>

>> As a followup to my own post, AFAIK, my comments
apply to SIP
>clients,
>> but you always have to forward the ports to the
asterisk server...

On Behalf Of
>>> Tom Rymes
>>> Sent: Saturday, August 13, 2005 10:22 PM
>>> To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial
Discussion
>>> Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] Why NAT problem
>>>

>>> This is not technically true. For instance, you
can take a
>>> Cisco 79X0 and put it behind NAT and it will work
without
>>> port forwarding. You do, however, have to program
the phone
>>> to enable the NAT features. (There are two, I
can't remember
>>> their names, though.) I have generally left the
WAN IP
>>> address blank, with no noticable ill effects, but
that might
>>> not be a good idea.
>>>
>>> Also, I believe that you can do this with multiple
phones, so
>>> long as you use different port numbers for each
phone (5061,
>>> 5062, etc)
>>>
>>> Tom

receive a