[Asterisk-Users] Simple Fax question

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Aug 15 17:11:21 MST 2005

Jeffrey Starin wrote:

> Strange things.
>
> When I run the RxFAX command through an internally dialed extension, I
> can *hear* fax tones, meaning, I presume, that the RxFAX application
> is running.  In fact, doing a show application confirms that.  So, I'm
> presuming RxFAX application is talking as it should.
>
> However, inbound fax calls (tones) are not being detected.  I know
> that my extensions file is corect. I am ONLY running SIP.  I've seen
> this question posted here several times and no one answers: is it
> possible to have fax tones detected if you are only running SIP
> protocol without any digium hardware or cards?  Not running IAX
> protocol.  Can some kind soul please answer this simple question, if
> known.
>
> Running Asterisk CVS-HEAD-05/23/05

This question has been asked and answered many times. rxfax gets its
timing from the received data stream. No received data, no function. If
you have a continuous audio stream it may work. If you use silence
detect it won't. Is it worth fixing that? No. FAX over an IP audio
channel never works well enough to bother with anyway. It requires T.38,
which is not yet implemented.

Regards,
Steve