[Asterisk-Users] Cisco and "protocol application invalid"

Bjorn Ove Kristiansen bok2 at online.no
Sun Aug 14 11:23:22 MST 2005

Hey all!

Have configured a Cisco 7960 with no problems, put up an TFTP server and it
downloaded new sip binaries – all went well.

However, now I am having trouble getting two 7040s to work. Basically, my
problem is the above stated error message. If I had any entries in the TFTP
logfile, I could probably solve this problem. But the thing is, it just
doesn’t look as if the phones are connecting to TFTP at all.

Figured I’ll use a packet sniffer to find out which IP-address the phone
uses for connecting to a TFTP. That turned out to be rather complicated.
First, since I run routers and switches, sniffing packets on the LAN is a
hard task. Then I sat up a wireless connection to the internet and onnected
the phone to the computer using a shared internet connection, hoping that
Windows built-in DHCP server would get the packets flowing. It did, but no
packets could tell me which IP-address the phone is trying to reach…

Is there any way of getting to know which IP address Cisco uses to contact
TFTP?

Regards,

Bjorn