[Asterisk-Users] yet another Asterisk and VMware question

Lull, Rick Rick_Lull at bshsi.com
Sat Aug 13 18:43:02 MST 2005

This works. I've done it on occasion for testing. However, because
virtual
PCs rarely operate on a real-time clock, mostly emulating these
features,
you will find that anything that read/writes to disk will suck badly.
For
example, it is nearly impossible to use the Voicemail features of
Asterisk
under Vmware, CoLinux or UserMode Linux. Believe me, I've tried! ;)

This is one of the main reasons that AstWind has stagnated. The timing
granularity of the virtual machines is not acceptable for doing anything

IO related.

Just since I am curious, what version of VMWare did you use and what kind of
box where you running on?

I've just moved my * box to a VM on ESX server and didn't play with
voicemail until you mentioned it - now Allison's voice cuts in and out.
Sounds like I am going to have to go back to the box I was running on
previously. My original box is a P3 500 desktop while my VMWare ESX box is a
dual P3 1.4GHz HP Proliant server.

Rick

The information in this communication is intended to be confidential to the Individual(s) and/or Entity to whom it is addressed.
It may contain information of a Privileged and/or Confidential nature, which is subject to Federal and/or State privacy regulations.
In the event that you are not the intended recipient or the agent of the intended recipient, do not copy or use the information
contained within this communication, or allow it to be read, copied or utilized in any manner, by any other person(s).  Should
this communication be received in error, please notify the sender immediately either by response e-mail or by phone,
and permanently delete the original e-mail, attachment(s), and any copies.