[Asterisk-Users] Firewall will definately increase jitters in your voice conversation

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Sat Aug 13 15:11:57 MST 2005

Lokesh kumar wrote:

>Hi,
>
>If you will put firewall, then i think you will get
>high latency and consequently you will hear voice
>jitter in your conversation. so avoid putting
>firewall.

Is this a troll or what?

Anyway, there is a valid point here so I will address it as if it were
not.  The issue is that your perimiter control mechanisms can affect
latency in any number of ways.  Those of us who know what we are doing
use them to *reduce* latency and *increase* sound quality by using
various QoS traffic shaping technologies on the firewall.  Similarly if
you have a severely underpowered firewall and your firewall rules are
overly complex then you very well could have sound quality degradation.
However, it is a matter of firewall design and not really a matter of
the class of technologies as a whole.

Without a firewall w/QoS set up properly, I should be able to cause
voice jitters by downloading, say, 10 Linux distro ISO's from various
different locations... :-)  The QoS system prevents this from causing
problems :-)

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting