[Asterisk-Users] Re: Henning G. Schulzrinne quote on IAX2 from von magazine

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Aug 13 11:57:09 MST 2005

[thread moved from -dev due to non-dev content]

At 6:40 PM +0200 on 8/13/05, Andreas Sikkema wrote:
>On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 12:44 +0800, Steve Underwood wrote:
>
>>  He doesn't seem to really understand the strengths and weaknesses of
>>  IAX. IAX has drawbacks, but none of the problems he lists actually exist.
>
>OK, I'll bite ;-)
>
>How would IAX2 solve trombones?
>
>--
>Andreas Sikkema

Since this is a very vague accusation of protocol shortcoming, I'll
answer in a very vague way: IAX2 has the ability to "native bridge"
two endpoints together, even if the call was established by a third
party.  Media is not "tromboned" through the third party if it is
possible for the two endpoints to communicate directly, and it is
administratively permitted.  Please read the (not quite completed)
IAX2 specs.  http://www.cornfed.com/iax.pdf

JT