[Asterisk-Users] re: call "load balancing"

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 00:41:15 MST 2005

> However: this means that a bug that makes Asterisk consume
> 100%CPU will practically stall the system. The system will
> still answer pings and open sockets, because that is done
> in the kernel. But nothing further will be done.

Correct. Same if, for any reason, you have a loop in your dial-plan.
Box is dead but responds to pings, etc. Not exactly a great solution
killing everything on a server because of one buggy process. That is
why I don't use -p.

Can anyone comment on the performance differences with the 2.4 vs. 2.6
kernel on a semi-loaded (meaning not idle) box? I seem to get better
responsiveness on a 2.6 kernel.

<snip>

htb on Linux works fine for me on the same box for outgoing traffic
shaping. Can be the same machine that is running Asterisk as long as
it's also acting as a gateway and nothing else competes for the link.
Seems to improve flow quite a bit on a congested link.

<snip>

As far as concurrent calls, on 6 Mbit down / 768 kbit up (actual TCP
throughput) cable link we can get 10 concurrent calls in G711, via IAX
trunked with no quality loss. Jitter, if anything, seems to be a
problem. At peak times it's about 40 ms. Dejittering at the other end
is pretty much a must.

--Luki